Saturday 15 June 2013

My Upcoming Concerts in Warsaw

The cluster of concerts I've got coming up at the end of June/beginning of July in Warsaw seems to reflect my eclectic taste in music.  First up, it's Sigur Ros at the Sowinskiego Park Ampitheatre on June 25th.  Sigur Ros played the same place in 2008, but, unfortunately, I'd already arranged to go to the US at the same time:


First heard Sigur Ros on British Radio 1:  a live concert from Shepherd's Bush Empire in London back in the early 2000s, aired in the early hours of the morning after a John Peel Show (how I miss this great man and his Show!).  So, better late than never, I should be getting to see Sigur Ros on the 25th of this month.

The day after, I'm going to see Coco Rosie at the Warsaw Basen on the 26th June.  Discovered Coco Rosie through looking at loads of (Seattle-based) KEXP sessions on Youtube.  I became aware of KEXP sessions through first watching one of my favourite bands, Low, doing such a session on Youtube.  Below, Coco Rosie are doing 'Lemonade' on a KEXP session:



Really like the massive contrast in the Casady sisters' voices:  one being impish and Bjork-sounding, the other having a beautiful, high pitched voice.  Also really starting to like the Warsaw Basen as a concert venue, half of the reason why I'm going to this concert, maybe.

Third up, for me, it's the big one out of this cluster of concerts:  Gov't Mule on the 1st July up at the Klub Progresja, another one of my favourite concert venues in Warsaw.  I've only been introduced to Gov't Mule quite recently, but as soon as I heard them, I could see this was music for me:  a throwback to 1970s Rock music (solid pumping rhythm section; well-placed organ sounds; extended guitar solos; and above all else, great melodies):


Yes, this is old-style Rock music with great melodies, something to savour and behold.

Finally, on the 9th July, I'm going seeing Bush at the Palladium, yet another good place in Warsaw for concerts.  When I first saw this gig advertised, I wasn't sure about it, as I only knew Bush for their famous tracks like 'Swallow' and 'Glycerine' back in the 1990s.  However, after watching the concert below (from Germany in 2002), I decided that Bush should be well worth seeing:



Yes, I've got a nice cluster of concerts coming up, and feel blessed that I can see this wide range of music (ethereal-type Rock; Avant-Garde/Folk; Classic Rock; Alternative/Grunge) in Warsaw.  It's fantastic that this range of bands are now visiting Warsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment