Saturday 14 October 2023

After-Dinner Coffee at Whitewell

 

After lunch/dinner in Chipping and a short walk in the Forest of Bowland, we had an after-dinner coffee at The Inn at Whitewell:

Have just read that this plush pub is a 16th century, former coaching inn, overlooking the river Hodder and beautiful, open countryside:


And outside on the back terrace, I got some great shots of the Bowland landscape:


It was a perfect place to have afternoon coffee, the river Hodder looked wonderful.

One of my friends told me that The Inn at Whitewell was one of the late Queen Elizabeth's favourite pubs and I could see why.

A few footsteps down the road, we saw St. Michael's chapel of ease, which I've just discovered was built no later than the year 1400:


Have also just found out that a chapel of ease is a church built within a parish that is more convenient for locals (e.g. in a village) to visit than a more distant parish church.

No comments:

Post a Comment