Tuesday 17 October 2023

Buckhurst Lodge ... Ashworth Moor Reservoir

As I was passing Buckhurst Lodge, it was 31 degrees and I was gagging for a drink.

So I was hoping and praying that the Buckhurst Lodge would be open:


But, of course, I was out of luck, nothing new there.


It was a pity as I'd heard good reports about Buckhurst Lodgeside (great pies and real ale, for example).

So, as I was becoming increasingly parched, I headed for the Owd Betts top road, taking the path alongside Cheesden Valley.

And not too long afterwards, I found myself at the side of the top reservoir (Ashworth Moor Reservoir):


Have just read that in the late 19th century, when plans were designed to build the reservoir, a few mills in the rural area were forced to close down to make way for it.

More specifically, I've just found out that the local landowner, Alice Ashworth, lost a legal case in 1898 which lead to four mills being closed down in the area, with construction work on the big stone-lined reservoir beginning soon after.

Have also just found out that a kind of Bronze Age axe was found in 1905 while workmen were digging at the reservoir site, and that Ashworth Moor Reservoir was completed in 1908.

Of course, hearing the name Alice Ashworth made me realise how Ashworth Valley got its name, with the Ashworth family having been big landowners in the area.

Sadly, I also failed to find refreshment at the Owd Betts pub because it too was closed.

But I have just discovered that the Owd Betts pub was built by Richard and Mary Ashworth in 1796, the year after Ashworth Road was built to link Edenfield and Rochdale (via Norden) together.

No comments:

Post a Comment