Saturday 21 October 2023

Wrenching Out Moth-Infested Box Plants

At the side of the house, all the box plants had been destroyed by an invasive moth common to Poland.

Taking out the box plant manually turned out to be a long laborious job over a few days, as first I used a saw to cut off the branches:

Which I took to a woodpile behind the barn:

I decided to cut all the branches off first before focusing on getting the bush stumps out:


And after a while, it came time to wrench the stumps out which was backbreaking work:


Getting the stumps out involved digging downwards around them with a pointed spade for quite some time, and sawing all the underground roots that gradually became visible.

This process continued until, hey presto, the stump became loose enough to be pulled out:

Doing this kind of work did kind of make me feel like a dentist.

Getting each stump out seemed like a minor miracle but there was a sense of satisfaction, especially as more and more came out:



And finally, the whole place was clear of the box plants, ready for some other plants to go in:


It's now a few weeks since this work, but I can still feel a nagging pain in my right arm.

But all in all, I enjoyed wrenching the box plants out, it was a kind of challenge and great physical exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment