Friday 30 November 2012

Archive Live at Warsaw Stodoła 28-11-12

I purely went to this out of curiosity, as Archive are well known on the continent, but not many people talk about them in Britain.  I knew some of their more famous stuff like 'Fuck You'; 'Again'; and 'Bullets', so I was always going to recognise some of the set, which was fine.  However, my favourite track of the night was 'Hatchet' which somebody has very kindly filmed and put on Youtube:


Unfortunately, the Stodoła was absolutely packed out, and, for me, this makes it more difficult to enjoy a gig.  Having said this, Archive are very tight live, and with the different male and female vocalists, the songs are never dull and boring.  Yes, Archive are very creative and interesting, and in better conditions, this would've been a concert I would've really enjoyed.

However, I can only take the sardine can experience for so long, and after about 70 minutes, I retired to the Stodoła hallway to have a nice cold beer, and take some pictures of the interesting decor in this area (I did exactly the same thing at Steve Vai, I just don't like tightly packed in crowds).




Really like this kind of stuff, whoever thought it up had a great brainwave, I think.  When I think about it, I guess that it was designed to have a soothing effect on people just coming out of a packed out room.  It's true, some people sit on the steps in this bar/hallway area, just listening to the live music, and consciously or subconsciously taking in the decor.  Having said all this, I may be dragging the significance of this decor out of all proportion, as it's taken me years to really take notice of it.




4 comments:

  1. Afternoon Pat. Great video and I like your photographs. Archive have a really original and distinctive sound, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave, do you like the 2 male vocalist-2 female vocalist format?

    Also, do you like Trip-Hop (Portishead; Massive Attack; Tricky; Archive etc.)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Pat, Archive are really different aren't they? I really like how the lead guitar keeps cutting in almost like a chainsaw or a machine gun?

    Apart from Archive, they all have a Bristol connection. Is this just a coincidence?

    Did Marillion play 'Out of this world?' Any of the old Fish stuff - Script For a Jesters...? Guess I'll have to wait for your next blog post, won't I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Dave, Bristol is considered to be the capital of Trip-Hop.

    I'll try to do the Marillion report later today or tomorrow, but I'll say now that they did about a two-and-a-half hour set, and that 'Gaza' actually works live, and out of the Fish stuff, they just did 'Warm Wet Circles' and 'Garden Party'. They never did 'Out Of This World', but I knew this in advance through following the set lists on Marillion.com

    ReplyDelete