Friday 9 November 2012

Beach House in Warsaw on 11-11-12: Change of Venue

Two days before the concert, I've just found out that the Beach House concert on Sunday has been switched from the Stodoła to the Fabryka Trzciny over the river in the Praga district of Warsaw. 

The last time I was at the Fabryka Trzciny was about 4 years ago when Ladytron headlined one of the nights at the Free Form Festival there.  Before this, I also saw John Cale there about 5-6 years ago.  The place itself is very interesting, as it is a quite tastefully done up old industrial unit, and it's also near the beautiful Catholic basilica on the Praga side of the river in Warsaw.

Why am I going to see Beach House?  Well, basically, I saw that they were playing Warsaw, checked them out on Youtube, and discovered that I like them.  They remind me a little bit of a few bands that the late John Peel used to champion (e.g. Broadcast; Stereolab; Pop-Off Tuesday etc.). 

Below, Beach House are doing a couple of tracks from the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan (thanks to the good person who put this on Youtube).


Hope they're on this kind of form on Sunday night!

6 comments:

  1. Think Victoria steals the show with her sultry voice. I believe their music is called: Dream Pop. Think it perfectly describes them don't you Pat?

    Was John Cale good? He reminds me of Leonard Cohen. That's another legend that you have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Dave, this label, dream pop, seems to have appeared to categorise this kind of music.

    Do you think music has become too complicated/idiosynchratic to be categorised under neat labels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably Pat. However I do think: dream pop is a great description for their music. It just seems to take you somewhere else.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I agree it seems an accurate label. Who else would you put in this category, Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh that's a difficult one Pat. The one that comes immediate to mind is 'Falling': Julee Cruise, The Twin Peaks theme. I would also say Enya is very dreamy. Then you get rock music that leaves you transfixed. Think Blue Oyster Cult was the first band that I have ever been totally enthralled and transfixed with the music and oblivious to what is going on around me. The older I get the more I seem to concentrate totally on the music. Look forward to reading your Beach House report.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Dave, when music is leaving you transfixed, it's giving you enchantment, making you feel at one with the immediate sounds and surroundings.

    ReplyDelete