Saturday 17 November 2012

Healthy Steam-Cooked Food in Warsaw, Poland

Again, I'm really pushed for time, so it's going to have to be another short piece on food, I'm afraid to say. 

Recently, upon the advice of my good friend, Northsider Dave, I've started using my little steam cooker for the first time in many years, and I must say that I feel much better for it.  Today, I'm going to show both the meat cutlet and soya cutlet meals I've had over the last couple of days.

First, yesterday, I had the minced pork cutlet and vegetable meal pictured below:



Of course, a healthy layer of cottage cheese was 'dolloped' on top of this.  The vegetables used are carrots, broccoli and red pepper with a few pieces of butter melting into them.  Many thanks to the mother-in-law for providing the pork cutlets, as I wouldn't have had a clue how to prepare them.

Second, a few hours ago, I cooked soya culets with carrots, broccoli, onions, and yellow pepper in the small steam cooker below:




Again, it's a good idea to add a healthy layer of cottage cheese on top to spruce the meal up a bit.  Having said this, my mother-in-law's soya cutlets are almost as good as her pork ones. 




Finally, the best thing about this kind of plain cooking is that it gives no digestion problems (provided that it's not eaten just before bed, of course).

11 comments:

  1. Glad the steamed cooked food is doing you good, Pat.

    Great pictures and very well presented food. Like you say it gives no digestion problems. So there is a lot to be said for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now eat meat only about twice a week, Dave. How often do you eat meat?

    In answer to your earlier question, a DVD from Ireland should work fine in Poland. Thanks.

    Just seen 'Anna Karenina' at the cinema, mainly to help me remember the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Pat. I thought a English made DVD should work in Poland but I thought I would check first.

    Do you still like Tolstoy Pat? He lived on a smallholding didn't he? Think you're the only person I know who managed to read 'War and Peace'. Any chance of a few literature 'greats' blog posts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The version of 'Anna Karenina' was really well done, I might write about this actually.

    Perhaps I'll do something on Thomas Hardy or DH Lawrence, but it's all a question of time, Dave.

    I always thought you might be a fan of Zola, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat. I have never read anything by Zola. However I do believe in fate, realism and even luck. Some people are born with looks, money, even brains. While others never seem to get nowhere. Makes you wonder if there is a vivisectionist in the sky and we are the laboratory rats? Is that pessimistic enough for you Pat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a compliment Pat. What's your outlook on life?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It changes from day to day, Dave, very much depending on how much sleep I get, and how secure the future looks.

    Just been to the Old Latin Mass for the fifth week on the trot, and feel better for it. This experience is warm and familiar, the Gregorian Chant seeps into the soul, and there is no excessive networking. For me, this is the way religion should be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you find some enchantment from the Gregorian Chant, Pat. Religion leaves me cold these days and I often wonder if God cares.

    Blowing a gale here, just passed two cars that had crashed(nobody hurt -thankfully) on the flooded roads. I could do with a sun holiday.

    Look out for the postman in 5 days or so. I have sent you a DVD to watch. Hopefully you will enjoy it. Please let me know when you get it Pat.

    Have you been watching the cricket? Don't mention the United or Villa results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, at least Cook and Prior have shown some 'balls'.

    About religion, Dave, I think you have to look at a wide variety of different ones (e.g. just within Christianity itself) to more fully see what kinds of aesthetic (and other) experiences are on offer. I think that through focusing too much on things like the 'God Question', many interesting things can be missed.

    Having said all this, the real evil ideology of our times, political 'correctness', attempts to destroy religion on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have a point about aesthetics Pat.

    ReplyDelete