Wednesday 7 November 2012

Steak Cooked in Ginger in Warsaw, Poland

Especially for my good friend, Northsider Dave, I'm now going to do a piece on one of my favourite meals in Warsaw:  'Wołowina z Imbierem' (Steak cooked in Ginger).  I usually eat this at the Que Huong Vietnamese place at Plac Zabawiecela, near the Politechnicha metro station.  This place also does a really good Tofu Curry, and the Vietnamese lads create a wonderful laid-back atmosphere where you can eat in peace without any hassle whatsoever. 

Right, so the Steak cooked in Ginger, this is what it looks like on its hot plate:


You can see that you get a decent mound of beef with a portion of rice and a small side salad in the background.  In the foreground of the beef, you can see an onion sticking out.  The Vietnamese at Que Huong seem to mix the ginger with onions at the bottom of the hot place, and this resulting flavour seems to rise with the steam.  It really is a delicious meal.

Below, there is a picture of the green tea that I drink with my Steak cooked in Ginger.  I used to enjoy a midday pint with this meal, but over the past few months, I've switched to green tea, which is fantastic at Que Huong.



Steak cooked in Ginger plus green tea at Que Huong costs 26 złoty (about 5 pound), while Tofu Curry with green tea costs 17 złoty (about 3 pound). 


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for going to the trouble of taking the photographs Pat. I can not believe how cheap the prices are. It looks incredible value and I bet it's delicious. Think I will make Steak in Ginger today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Dave, Britain and Ireland are incredibly expensive places. I also love beef and green pepper in black bean sauce. What's your favourite Chinese/Oriental meal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat much Chinese food Pat. But when I do believe it or not, I usually choose beef and green pepper in black bean sauce.

    Do you have a wok and cook oriental food or do you prefer to go to Que Hong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cheaper and much less hassle to eat out, Dave. I know it's very different in Britain and Ireland, so who does most of the cooking, you or the missus?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of start the cooking and the wife takes over. Saying that I can cook basic food like soups or a breakfast or a curry... I do help with the washing up. I am sure it's also better for the mind to meet people and socialize while you're eating, instead of looking at the same 4 walls every day?

    Are there any English or American eating places near you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a few American steak grills, but nobody would give a second thought to British food, as it's commonly viewed as 'crap'. Do you agree, Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No I wouldn't agree Pat. British/English food is fantastic if it's made with authentic ingredients Pat. Take Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, Gravy and Vegetables for instance. A good Sirloin roast joint either organic or a traditional breed like a Belted Galloway, Aberdeen Angus or an Hereford. Cooked in a range for hours until it falls apart. Served with Organic or freshly dug home grown vegetables steamed (not boiled) and washed down with a pint of real ale or a northern bitter like Youngers, Theakstons or Newcastle Brown. That's real English traditional food without any artificials!

    Oriental, Indian, Italian, English, Irish, European? It's all peasant food really and we have to re-discover it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where does Britain get its 'rotten food' reputation from, Dave? Baked beans?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's probably come from British holidaymakers abroad, opting for chips every time Pat. It's a stereo type like French onion sellers ride around on bicycles. Of course like most stereo types there is a small degree of truth. I think also people think back to school meals and canteens when the staple diet seemed to be stodge and bland food like Spam, chips and beans.

    What do you think Pat?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you liked stuff like spam, chips and beans as well, Dave. Am I right, or is the memory deceiving me?

    ReplyDelete