Friday 16 November 2012

Tofu Curry at Que Huong, Warsaw

On Thursday, I'd just taught two lessons out in the middle of nowhere, an area of Warsaw called Opłotek about 30 minutes walk beyond Młociny in Stare Bemowo (I think!).  This area is quite bleak with there being a large cemetery and many factories and rubbish dumps up there.  Whenever I finish teaching here, the lingering image is of mud and pollution splattered, dry grass verges, as the place is really not that pretty.  However, on Thursday, I managed to get a nice shot of a train carrying industrial goods slowly rolling by:


Thus, after this morning saunter on the dark industrial outskirts of Warsaw, I'm always happy to get to Que Huong, my favourite Vietnamese eating place in the centre of Warsaw.  On Thursday, I had Tofu Curry which is absolutely delicious at Que Huong:


The Tofu Curry (and rice) is tasty enough in itself, but if you want to spruce it up a bit, you can soak the rice in soy sauce (I always do this), and pour a mixture of fresh warm chilli and sweet and sour sauce over the whole of the meal, as I've done below:



Either way, with or without the additions, Tofu Curry is delicious at Que Huong.  For Tofu Curry and a cup of green tea, it's about 17 złoty (about 3 pound), so well done to the Vietnamese lads at Que Huong for providing such good and more than reasonably priced food.

10 comments:

  1. Love the freight train photograph Pat. Makes me think of 'Train, Train': Blackfoot.

    Que Huong seem to be very generous with their portions and the price is unbelievable. They charge 6 Euros in Ireland for a cheese and onion toasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But is it a good cheese and onion toasty, Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno Pat. I am not paying 6 Euros for something that wouldn't cost fifty pence to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer, Dave, I guess you're not wet behind the ears. I think I was almost daft enough to buy such a toasty the day after the Low concert when I was hungover, but, thankfully, ended up having a surprisingly good burger at Jimmy Rocket's.

    Got a Clannad ticket for Warsaw Stodoła on February 10th today (there were only about 50 tickets left when I bought it); probably going to Rome or Milan between February 14th-18th; currently watching Cheap Trick Live from Reading Festival 1979 on Youtube, so I guess things are looking up for now, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear things are looking up Pat. I didn't know that Clannad
    are so popular in Poland?

    Italy? Hmm.. Sounds exciting. I'm buying an heifer and a wagon load of round bales of straw today. That's my exciting weekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I guess the cattle have already got through Jimmy's seventy odd bales of sileage, Dave. That's some going, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat. I sold forty of the bales (well when I get paid for them that is) to other farmers and the straw is for the cattle to eat at night and to sleep on. Just spent a couple of hours cleaning them out. My back is killing me and I could do with some of that vodka to take away the pain.

    Silly question time.

    Do English DVD's work in Poland? I have one I want to send to you but there's no point if it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure, Dave, I know American ones don't, but about British ones, it's anybody's guess.

    As I'm doing my proofreading, I now go on Youtube and put on things like Marillion 100 videos; Beach House 50 videos, and just let the music seep in. I really love the Archive songs with the female vocalist(s), try 'You Make Me Feel' and 'Collide Collapse' (or 'Collapse Collide', Dave, it's really good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please will you find out if the British ones work and let me know?

    Will listen to the tracks. Thanks.

    Are you keeping busy?

    ReplyDelete