Saturday 3 November 2012

Two of My Favourite Polish Beers

This short post is devoted to two of my favourite Polish beers:  Lomża and Zwierzyniec.  Below, you can see cans of Lomża and Zwierzynicz standing proudly next to each other.


The Zwierzynicz has already been supped, while the Lomża is still waiting to be guzzled. 

People have told me that Lomża comes from a small town in eastern Poland called Lomża.  It reminds of Czech beer a lot, because it has the texture of a lager, but a bitter-type aftertaste, like Perla (another Polish beer I like from Lublin, once again in eastern Poland).  One good piece of advice, with Lomża  or Perła, buy the Pilsener rather than the Export, as the latter is not as good (but to be fair, still a reasonable drink).

In contrast, Zwierzyniec reminds me of a German Pilsener, as it's more subtle with a soft, tingly champagne-type sensation as you drink it.  Zwierzynicz is a quite popular, small holiday place in eastern Poland, near my wife's hometown of Szczebreszyn.  In summer, it's nice to drink Zwierzyniec on draught at the brewery's outside bar.  Lots of people go hiking and swimming in the lakes nearby, and enjoy a couple of fresh pints afterwards.

Somewhere down the line I'll tell you about my other two favourite Polish beers:  Leżajsk and the above-mentioned Perła.

4 comments:

  1. You can get quite a lot of Polish beer here in Ireland Pat. I think we have drank Perla but never seen the Zwierzynicz.

    They also sell a very limited amount of English bitter like Newcastle Brown in tins. I have never understood why English bitter is not drank in Ireland, you get tired of stout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've managed to get Perła, you've done very well, as it's only usually the populist (big brewery) Polish 'chemical' beer like Zywiec; Lech; Tyskie etc. which is exported.

    I also think that if you'd drunk Perła, you'd still be drinking it now, Dave. I can remember you telling me that you'd drunk Okocim (also a green can), which is not bad, better than the three mentioned above, but far from brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you're right Pat. I got mixed up with the Okocim. The green can threw me. Do you get any English bitter in Poland?

    Zwierzyniec sounds like the Lake District.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the Carrefour supermarkets and a few other places, you can get a few kinds of British Real Ale and bitter, but it's obviously a lot more expensive than the Polish stuff.

    I think your Okocim was 5.8%, Dave, whereas Perła is 6.2% and a lot better tasting. I love the Czech/Slovakian-type lagers that taste like bitter, and Perła and Lomża are like this.

    ReplyDelete