Monday 12 November 2012

Beach House Live at Warsaw Fabryka Trzciny 11th November 2012

Yesterday was quite an eventful day as, for me, it was both Remembrance Sunday and the first anniversary of my mother's death. 

In the evening, I attended the Beach House concert at Fabryka Trzciny, over the river in the Praga district of Warsaw.  In the morning, I went down to the place to make sure that I would be able to find it in the evening.  The Fabryka Trzciny is really near the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, so it was just a case of finding the latter which is pictured below.




The Fabryka Trzciny is literally about 200 metres to the left of the Sacred Heart Basilica on Ulica Otwocka.  It is also very near the wall mural on the picture below. 




As for the Beach House concert itself, as you can imagine, it was a very pleasant dreamy experience, just what I needed on a potentially bleak day.  Over 50% of the audience was young women which always makes a gig a more civilised experience. 

For the first 15-20 minutes of the Beach House set, I managed to get quite near to the front of the stage, and 'fired away' with my small simplistic mobile phone camera, and was more than happy with the resulting pictures below.



















With a low quality mobile, it's just a case of getting close to the stage, holding the mobile firmly in both hands, then taking as many pictures as possible, as a law of averages willl allow some to come out okay.  As usual, I retired to the back of the crowd after 15-20 minutes to relax and have a couple of pints.  The beer on draft at the Fabryka Trzciny is Lech, which, despite not being the best Polish beer, made a nice change from Zywiec.

The Beach House set itself was a nice balance between older and recent material.  Glad to say that they did my favourite BH song 'Zebra'.  Below the band are doing 'Zebra' in a studio somewhere.



Yes, overall, the Beach House concert was a really soothing experience yesterday, just the thing I needed, to be honest. 

Someone has very nicely put a short clip of the Beach House concert at Warszawa Fabryka Trzciny on Youtube, which adds quite nicely to my post here.

19 comments:

  1. Glad to read that the Beach House concert was a pleasant and dreamy experience on such a bleak day, Pat. Our thoughts go with you all.

    Think you should be writing to Warsaw newspapers and showing them your concert reviews and excellent photographs Pat. You have your own newspaper music column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, apart from you and a few others, not many people are interested in my musical and wider cultural musings. It's just the way the world is, it has been made disenchanted (e.g. by the PC mob). Still, I enjoy writing down my thoughts as a kind of diary and self-reflective process.

    Which is your favourite Beach House song, Dave? Do you like 'Zebra'? I don't think I've ever heard a song quite like it. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your blogs Pat - especially the music and looking at the photographs. Perhaps we are like a 'Zebra' different from the crowd?

    I have just been looking up the 'Zebra' meaning on Google. There are 32 comments. I think you can put what ever meaning you want to it, don't you?

    I wonder if she is talking about her shyness and the way she looks at the world? Could also be a female thing with a woman's obsession with her own appearance?

    Any thoughts Pat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say 'Myth' for my favourite song Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think shyness is a universal thing, and if people are not shy/self-conscious to some degree, there may be something missing. This is the kind of thing that Sartre is getting at in 'The Look' from 'Being and Nothingness'. What do you think, Dave?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you not think it's the shyness that makes us want to write or sing and show our thoughts to the world, Pat? I think depression also goes with creativity. It's all part of the process. All sunshine makes a desert. Fascinating stuff. Think the lead singer 's got a really mysterious aura about her. She could be really special.

    Who's the most mysterious female rock singer that you like Pat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure, Dave, there are too many to name really. Do you like Marina and The Diamonds. I think 'Hollywood' is an excellent pop song. They're on in Warsaw in January, but I don't fancy being with all the 'teenyboppers'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would loved to have seen Kate Bush when she played Hammersmith. Stevie Nicks presses the buttons also. Julianne Reagan (All about Eve) is probably my favourite rock Diva though. Pure gypsy goth.

    Will look up Marina and The Diamonds and get back to you Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You asked me about the most mysterious female rock singer, Dave, and, for me, it might be Jarboe (ex-Swans). Some of her solo stuff as Jarboe is well on the esoteric side, but other stuff is nicely melodic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jarboe. Yeah she's good. I thought of loads of other female singers since my last comment Pat.

    I reckon I would get 2 tickets for you and the missus for Marina and the Diamonds concert. Then you won't feel out of place. She's 'Electra' isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you want a female singer/musician who is more way out than 'mysterious', try Diamanda Galas, Dave. She looks a bit 'sinister' on stage, but, apparently, off stage, she's a lovely lady.

    My wife would go mad if we were both out of place at a concert, Dave (this once happened watching Ladytron at the Fabryka Trzciny in Warsaw).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pat, Will check Diamanda Galas out, Pat. Will report back later. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sinister is the word Pat. She should be in silent horror films.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If she said it was Friday - it's Friday. You certainly find some characters Pat. Do you find her attractive?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not sure, Dave, this is a question I've pondered for many years, and have still not found the answer to it. Have you found any pictures of her off stage, where she's dressed normally?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kind of Pat. There are a few interviews on You Tube: Diamanda Galas CBC inteview live Toronto. She seems a lovely person off stage. She's certainly mysterious isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will look at the Diamanda Dallas CBC interview, many thanks, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forgot to say that I've always enjoyed finding characters, Dave.

    ReplyDelete