Tuesday 13 September 2022

New Day Festival 2022: Day One

It was a wet start to New Day 2022 with a big downpour keeping many of us in our tents for the first few acts. 

From a distance, we heard God Gave Rock N Roll To You, John Verity, of course. He sounded very good, it was a pity we didn't make it to the stage.

With much relief, the rainstorm subsided. And we got down to the stage for the Heavy Metal Kids:

 

Who, with thousands of bubbles in the air, were awesome, still have Ain't Nothing But a House Party roaring in my head.


Also really enjoyed Hugh Cornwell whose strategy of playing a Stranglers classic followed up by one of his own solo tunes went down well:

 

In no time at all, Stranglers classics like Duchess; Hanging Around; Always the Sun; Strange Little Girl; Skin Deep; Five Minutes etc. flew by.


 Not long after Hugh Cornwell, it was the turn of Ian Anderson's Jethro Tull:


Who, for me, were okay or even quite goodish, but not quite the band who I'd seen a few times back in the 1980s, especially on the Broadsword & the Beast and Under Wraps tours. How I wish I'd seen them a few times in the 1970s, of course. A few days later, I met a chap only four years older than me who'd seen Tull 257 times from the early 1970s onward.

To my surprise, The Clasp and Fallen on Hard Times (from Broadsword & the Beast), and the aptly titled Too Old To Rock n Roll, still sounded genuinely fresh. 

However, my friend summed up that despite still being a great flute player, Ian Anderson's voice was more or less gone (some people have been saying this for ages, of course), and that Tull really needed Anderson and Martin Barre back together again (sadly impossible, I would guess).

After Tull, my friend retired back to the festival campsite, while I stayed put for Ten Years After:


And absolutely loved them, with a fantastic rousing version of Hear Me Calling being my tune of the day.

In the past, I've quite madly passed up the chance to see Ten Years After, but this time, I'm so glad that I caught them, they were simply brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment