Thursday 29 September 2022

Seeing Rydal Mount

On my quick 20-minute look at Rydal village, with my friend keeping dry in the car, I got a glimpse of Wordsworth's beloved home, Rydal Mount:


Wordsworth lived here with his family from 1813 up to his death in 1850, which was far more time than he spent living in Grasmere. 

High up in the gardens of Rydal Mount, which Wordsworth designed, he also built a writing hut where he spent his creative time, and could peer at the Windemere and Grasmere Lakes from.

Wordsworth is also said to have been visited by Samuel Taylor Coleridge at Rydal Mount, as Coleridge often visited Greta Hall in Keswick long after his own tenancy ended there (between 1800 and 1803).


Interestingly, Rydal Mount still remains in ownership of the Wordsworth family, and has been open for the public to visit since 1970.

Unfortunately, during my quick runaround Rydal, I had no time to even consider going inside the Wordsworth house.

No comments:

Post a Comment