Tuesday 20 May 2014

Bury Walks: From the Police Station to the Burrs, the Scenic Route

I remember the old Bury police station being over near the Leisure Centre, but the 'new' one (in reality, built a good few years ago now) is located down near where Peel Mill once was.  Thus, I decided to take a walk from the 'new' police station to what is now grandly referred to as 'Burrs Country Park', and was pleasantly surprised with the scenic route that I found.

First, the river Irwell looks quite clean and has a few (what may've been previously hidden) small waterfalls down near the police station:


In the picture below of the horse grazing near the river, you can just about make out the 'new' police station in the background.  



 The bridge below is important as it takes you across the river and onto the road leading up to the Burrs:



While walking up the road towards the Burrs, I met this friendly cow which seemed perfectly at ease in the gentle, early spring sunshine:


Next up, I passed the grandiose-looking Garsdale: last had a couple of pints here a few years ago, while watching Blackpool win a Wembley play-off to the Premiership:


Then, I got to my destination, the Burrs, where it was nice to see that a small anglers' lodge had sprung up.  Managed to get a nice shot of the duck below surveying the scene:


Finally, I saw my final destination, The Brown Cow.  Had many wonderful AT sessions on Sunday nights/Monday mornings here back in the early/mid-1990s, and remember a character called Wobbler (who now resides up in Bacup) falling into the river after one such session (thankfully, he got out okay).


Now, the Brown Cow has a large caravan park just behind it, so I guess that it does a bumping trade these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment