Saturday 10 May 2014

Lady's Well Mass Rock, Bantry, Ireland


One of my favourite places on the planet is Lady's Well Mass Rock near Bantry in county Cork, Ireland.  Here, the Irish Catholics used to have Mass during penal times, and the Old Latin Mass is still celebrated here during post-Vatican II times.

My good friend Dave Dealy took me here in 2012, and when I was in Bantry last week, seeing it again was a must.

Love the way that the statue of Our Lady looks out to the sea:


 Also love this Marian shell devotion left on the Mass Rock itself (somebody has obviously put a lot of time and effort into producing something so profoundly beautiful):


 Like the Marian shell devotion above, the statue of the Sacred Heart below wasn't here the last time I visited the Mass Rock in 2012:


And finally - the stone Altar itself:  the statues get weathered and worn but they remain, and when ruined, they're replaced - this place is always appropriately adorned:


Just love the solitude and beauty of this place, where I believe that I can naturally seek God.

No comments:

Post a Comment