Wednesday 21 May 2014

Innisfallen Island, County Kerry

In the picture below, the boatman is taking us out to Innisfallen Island, in the middle of the lake next to Ross Castle in county Kerry:


Rather than the monastery remains, it was the small church ruin (below)  that caught my eye on Innisfallen Island:



Still, Innisfallen Monastery has a particularly interesting history, as neatly summarised in the picture below:


But like I've said, it was the small church ruin that caught my interest, especially when spotting the small Celtic Cross inside:


The short summary further above describes this cross having been found in the lake, and my old friend Dave Dealy adds that it may've been thrown in with other valuable things during an actual Viking raid.

As you can see, it's customary to put money around and on the Cross and to make a wish or say a prayer. My prayer/wish was for God to really exist (I'm 50-50 on the, for me, unanswerable 'God Question', but like Pascal choose to believe in him just in case): 


In contrast, the monastery remains didn't really capture my attention, but I still had to get a shot of them all the same:



And rivalling the Celtic Cross for the highlight of the trip, well that would have to be being led a merry dance by the herd of deer (what I had to go through to get the shot below):


On the way back to the Ross Castle mainland, our amiable boatman told us that the deer regularly swam on and off the island.  .

Also passed the lone fisherman below (just passing his time away in splendid isolation) as we were making our way back to Ross Castle:


Yes, all in all, this was a very short but interesting adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment