Friday 16 May 2014

My Friend's View of the Islamicisation of Northern England


Usually, I only visit my hometown of Bury, Lancashire, twice a year at most, but when getting back there last Christmas and late April this year, I was a touch surprised to see that this mosque had sprung up not far from Bury town centre, but reasonably hidden behind Iceland, just off Rochdale Road.

So what surprises me about this mosque?  Well, as far as my memory serves me, it's the first mosque that I've seen spring up in Bury with all the Islamic regalia on the roof. 


Indeed, despite this Islamic regalia being quite eye-catching, especially at sundown, it still shocked me.  But why?

Well, a friend of mine who moved away from Bury the same year as me in 1997 seems to give some form of answer to the question above.  What he says is that he's happy to be many miles away from the ever-increasing Muhammadan conurbation that spreads from Bradford/Leeds in Yorkshire to Oldham in Lancashire.  He qualifies this by saying that he's got nothing against the Muhammadans and their conurbation in northern England, but that he simply doesn't want to live there, and that if other English people are daft enough to want this, well that's their problem, not his.

Just thought that my friend has a novel, lateral-thinking kind of way of viewing the Islamicisation of northern England issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment