Sunday 18 May 2014

Midge Ure Live at Warsaw Klub Progresja 17th May 2014

Yes, the gigs are still rolling in quite nicely in Warsaw, and last night it was the turn of Midge Ure and his band to visit Warsaw Klub Progresja (now known as Progresja Music Zone up at Fort Wola):


As expected, Midge and his band did a nice eclectic mix of old Ultravox tunes and his solo stuff ('Call of the Wild'; 'If I Was'; his cover of 'No Regrets' etc.), the latter coming across a lot better than I would've expected.  Early on, it was his Visage number 'Fade To Grey' that really got the crowd going, and later on, inevitably, it was the classic Ultravox tunes ('Vienna'; 'Love's Great Adventure'; 'Hymn'; 'Dancing with Tears in My Eyes' etc.) that got people excited.

But what were my favourite tunes of the night?  Well, they would have to be 'Passing Strangers' and 'One Small Day' (toss of a coin whether this or 'Visions in Blue' is my favourite Ultravox tune).


Yes, this was a nice trip down memory lane, as I'd quite liked Ultravox in the late 1970's/early 1980s (still vaguely kind of remembering the pre-Midge Ure John Foxx stuff - 'Hiroshima Mon Amour' being the only tune I can still remember by name).

Only got a ticket for Midge Ure a couple of weeks before the gig and for 2-3 months it'd been a case of 'Should or Shouldn't I?', but, in the end, I had to go, as my late (younger) brother Nicky had liked Ultravox, and listening to the tunes last night reminded me of him.  Yes, good music can offer all kinds of catharsis.

No comments:

Post a Comment