Sunday 11 May 2014

Sheep's Head Peninsula: Looking Down at Whiddy Island


Just looking down at Bantry Bay here, as I was walking upwards to join the top of the Sheep's Head Peninsula trail.

While walking along at the top of the Sheep's Head Peninsula, the Whiddy Island oil refinery (with the remnants of the French tanker disaster from about 35 years ago) came into view (just before the mountains in the picture below):


Thus, I zoomed in to get a better picture of the (American-owned) oil refinery on Whiddy Island: 


My Anglo/Irish friend Dave Dealy told me that about 240-250 Irishmen catch the ferry from Bantry each day to work at the refinery on Whiddy Island.  Dave also emphasised that these workers are tested for traces of alcohol each morning, so I guess that a good drink is restricted to the weekend for these lads.

No comments:

Post a Comment