Thursday 29 May 2014

Walking Round Liverpool: Recalling Arthur Miller's 'A View from the Bridge'


The radio tower above proved very useful, as whenever we felt lost in Liverpool city centre, we were always able to get our bearings back by looking at it.

Not far away from the radio tower, I was taken back in time when I saw the advertisement below for Arthur Miller's tragedy:  'A View from the Bridge'.  Between 1987 and 1988, I did Sociology and English Literature A Levels at 'night school' at Bury College of FE.  On the English Lit. course, we studied both 'A View from the Bridge' and 'All My Sons' by Arthur Miller.  


'All My Sons' probably resembles too many aspects of my own life to go into detail here.  With 'A View from the Bridge', I can still vaguely remember our young female teacher guiding us to feel the character disintegration and tragedy of Eddie Carbone at a Shakespearean grandeur level.

A few years later, when studying Literature at university (1989-1992) I watched a South Bank Show special interviewing Arthur Miller and assessing his work.  Still remember Miller profoundly saying words to the effect that behind the civilised veneer, there is still a reptilean part of the human brain.  Just can't argue against this, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment