Thursday 15 May 2014

Durrus Village Church, near Bantry, County Cork


 Continuing with snippets from my recent visit to counties Cork and Kerry in Ireland, here are a few pictures from St. James (Church of Ireland) church in Durrus village, which me and my good friend Dave Dealy came down to visit from the higher parts of Sheep's Head Peninsula, while out for a walk on a beautiful early spring day in May.

Below, you can see that a river idyllically runs through the church land: 
 
 
Also, the famous 1970s Liverpool writer James Gordon Farrell is buried here:


 Finally, behind the Celtic Cross below, you can just make out the water in the background:


Thus, I think that as far as it is possible, St. James church in Durrus provides a beautiful resting place for the deceased.

1 comment:

  1. Describing J.G. Farrell as a 'Liverpool' writer is somewhat restrictive. I would call him an Anglo-Irish or Irish writer.

    ReplyDelete