Saturday 31 May 2014

Whiddy Island: Looking Out into the Expanse of It All


On Whiddy Island, we also went up to visit the old Battalion Fortress (above) of which my good old friend Dave Dealy (below) told me that it probably dated back to Napoleonic times.

Below, Dave Dealy is leading the way through the sheep towards the vast expanse of it all:


From here, I could clearly look down onto the grey-blue depths of Bantry Bay, seeing a big ship and a couple of small boats at work:


Below, I'm looking down onto the pub and pier, probably the main hub of human activity on Whiddy Island:


And finally, below, I'm looking beyond the cockle/mussel 'tram lines' and the small island (Dave Dealy said this might be Rabbit Island) towards Bantry at the bottom of the mountain in the distance:


No comments:

Post a Comment