Saturday 15 September 2012

12th/13th Century Church Remains in Heptonstall





The first time I ever went to Heptonstall, it was during a Grand National drinking trip to Hebden Bridge.  To get some fresh air and stop drinking for awhile, me and a character called 'Wobbler' (a guy who literally looked like Popeye without the pipe) walked all the way up to Heptonstall, and ended up drinking and playing pool in the pub up there.  Like idiots, we didn't bother having a look round. 

Many years later, I redeemed this mistake, and was really surprised to find 12th/13th century Catholic church remains up there.  I always feel like a child in a sweetshop when I find or come across anything like this.  As you can see from the pictures, the church ruins are reasonably well preserved, and are just stood there waiting for visitors.  In the last picture, I think the small opening in the wall may be the place where Catholics bless themselves with water when entering one of their churches, but, of course, I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment