Saturday 15 September 2012

Sylvia Plath's Grave, Heptonstall Graveyard


This was the main purpose behind my second visit to Heptonstall:  finding Sylvia Plath's grave.  I'd heard that through not being clearly marked in the graveyard, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  However, a local pointed me in the general direction, and then in the correct section, I saw a young couple with a young child also looking for the grave.  Eventually, they found it, and called me over.  As it happened, the couple were from the same village in Cambridgeshire where Sylvia Plath had lived as a student at Cambridge University.  They pointed out that they'd only found the grave through there being a few small stones on top of it (well done to whoever thought of this). 

I'd wanted to visit Sylvia Plath's grave, because I'd read 'Ariel' and a biography about her while studying Literature.  Of course, I was no expert, but her themes and life story struck a chord (good Literature passes on higher human empathy and emotion).  In the biography, I'd read about her coming from a Mennonite family background, and having considered converting to Catholicism.  This was real interesting stuff for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment