Tuesday 18 September 2012

Cities Built on Canals: Bruges

Been rushed off my feet all day doing EFL work and proofreading, so this blog writing thing comes in useful as a good relaxation tool.  The above picture just gives a bit of a sense of the canal atmosphere in Bruges, Belgium.  Me and a friend, Angus, only stopped in Bruges for a couple of hours during our Warsaw-Canterbury drive.  However, we did manage to try the local delicacy, egg and cheese on toast (if I remember correctly), and I remember having a decent Belgian beer to wash it down with.  Bruges seemed to be filled with lots of medieval buildings and narrow, labyrinthine streets so it reminded me a bit of a bigger version of Canterbury (this place was my dream adopted home for four years or so).

This is another shot of Bruges with a boat moving on the canal and a medieval church lying in the background.  If you can imagine the chocolate-filled air, then you've got the full (a fuller) picture.  I've never been to Amsterdam or Venice, but I guess they must be amazing, especially the latter. 


When I think about it, the only Belgian band I can ever really remember seeing is Hooverphonic at the Warsaw Palladium last year.  Thus, I've attached a video of them doing their classic 'Eden' from the latter gig (once again, thanks a million to whoever put this on Youtube). 

1 comment:

  1. Cork city used to be very similar to Amsterdam with it's canals. That is until somebody built over them.

    Talking of canals. Did you know there are more canals in Birmingham than there are in Venice? Perhaps there is one that goes passed Villa Park? G

    One of my ambitions is to visit the first world war battlefields of northern France and Belgium. Ypres especially.

    Really good pictures again Pat.

    ReplyDelete