Thursday 20 September 2012

A Small Autumnal Stroll in Warsaw

I'm thinking about seeing The Cranberries at The Torwar in mid-October, and I was down in that neck of the woods early today.  To be honest, there's a lot of stuff to see down there from beautiful 18th century buildings to genuinely interesting advertisements, graffitti, and Legia Warsaw murals.  Moreover, if you cross over a bridge further up towards the centre, you come into the grounds of the Old Palace, now the Warsaw Centre of Contemporary Art (the last three photos below).











Inside the Warsaw Old Palace grounds, there are a few things to see, such as the old but well-kept grave and the feature of modern art below:




Finally, I finished my gentle autumnal trek through strolling through the Embassy district back towards the centre of Warsaw.  In the mobile shot below, you can see the now empty (former) Serbian Embassy, where I once did a bit of teaching for a few months.  At the time, it was the Embassy of Serbia and Montenegro, before the latter gained its independence.



Finally, I headed towards the Metro Politechnika stop, and passed the beautiful church of St. Barbara's near Que Huong (a famous Vietnamese restaurant) at Plac Zabawiciela (The Square of the Saviour), and after getting on the metro ended back near home at Plac Wilsona metro station:







And what an ending it was, I was greeted with a purple ceiling.  It's more often green or occasionally red, but rarely purple.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoy going for a stroll Pat. I think there is nothing better for clearing the mind and just taking in the passing scenery.

    Think the Cranberries would well be worth seeing. Don't think they are even touring Ireland. Typical. Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But The Torwar is supposed to be a big, 'atmosphere-less' place, Dave. If this was at the Stodoła, I would've had a ticket a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm.....? Yeah I know what you mean.

    I can't stand those big arenas with plastic beer and bands that look like insects because your so far away. Does it have a seating plan? If so see if you can get a ticket near the front. I know you don't need me to tell you that Pat, but I would imagine they are one hell of a band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm long-sighted so I prefer to be near the back, Dave. With The Cranberries, yeah, they were/are a good band, but I just, rightly or wrongly, get a sense of them being a bit 'dated'. I've also got 3 concerts directly after The Cranberries, so 4 in a short space of time might be a bit much.

    ReplyDelete